Austrian curtains: a workshop on sewing
Any hostess wants to create a cozy and beautiful family nest. However, for this one desire is not enough. You need to make every effort and choose the appropriate decoration.
Every room has windows. Thanks to them, the space is illuminated by daylight and, as a result, it becomes warmer and more comfortable. However, the window opening itself is not of artistic value, in order for it to take a complete look, it is necessary to choose the right drapery.
Modern designers offer to use Austrian curtains in residential premises. Photos of such interiors look catchy, majestic and pompous. Of course, you can go to the store and purchase such a curtain. But wouldn't it be more pleasant to look at a work of art made by yourself?
In order to create such a style, you need to spend only a few hours. For those who want to learn how to sew Austrian curtains below we describe a consistent technology.
A little distracted from the main topic
The Austrian style for curtains is rather peculiar. The product is a solid canvas, which completely closes the window. This curtain is equipped with a lifting mechanism that works with a special tape. The main advantage of this model is that you can easily adjust the height. Rising, Austrian curtains form numerous folds (scallops), which give volume and lightness to the entire product.
The style and originality of the style can ennoble any fabric, and if you use beautiful drapery, the window opening will have a presentable and stately look.
The method of fastening Austrian curtains can be of any kind. However, on the rail eaves, they look the most profitable. Preference should be given to low-key models, so as not to distract attention from the curtains. The eaves must be a complement, not the main subject.
The choice of material for curtains
Before sewing, you need to decide on the type of fabric. In this issue should be a competent approach. First of all, pay attention to quality. It:
- UV resistance;
- light wash;
- unbreakable material.
There are also other requirements that are equally important:
- The ideal option would be translucent fabrics such as tulle, silk, organza, veil. Its ease will allow you to easily collect beautiful festoons. Often, Austrian curtains are complemented by thick curtains with lambrequins. Especially this design corresponds to the classical style.
- It is also worth paying attention to the drawing, since the cut already implies a catchy appearance, and a large, bright ornament can act annoyingly.
- Drapery such curtains - the main condition. Selected material should be easily gathered in folds, so you need to check this criterion in the store.
- Austrian curtains, made with their own hands, should be as beautiful as possible, so very often the bottom edge is decorated with fringe, beads, frill, etc.
How to calculate the size of curtains
The desired curtain length in the lowered state is measured. The resulting numbers must be multiplied by a factor of 1.5. It is necessary to get festoons. Also be sure to add at least 5 cm to the processing edges.
The basis is the length of the eaves and is multiplied by a factor of 2-2.5.Do not forget about the processing of edges, so add 6 cm.
Austrian curtains: preparation for sewing
Getting to tailoring products, you need to prepare in advance:
- solid cloth fabric;
- scissors for cutting;
- sewing machine, needles and sewing thread;
- special tape for assembly;
- braid or fringe for draping.
Master class on sewing
In order to sew Austrian curtains with your own hands, it is necessary to carry out the sewing technology in stages:
- Stripping fabric in order to avoid distortions.
- Cutting patterns and alignment of the canvas.
- Processing the side edges of the double hem.
- Festoking layout.
- Basting assembly tape in the marked places.
- Then you need to stitch everything on a typewriter.
- Carefully iron the edges and places with tape.
- Next is the processing of the bottom edge of the double hem.
- Draping and securing small loads at the bottom of the product.
- Stitching curtain tape to the top edge of the product.
Austrian curtains ready. Hang on the window and enjoy your own work of art.