Creaking floors, what to do?
If you are the owner of a wooden floor, then such a problem as the creak of the floors is familiar to you firsthand. The wooden floor is undeniably beautiful, environmentally friendly and pleasant in all respects. However, over time, any wooden coating begins to creak. Therefore, today we will try to answer the following question: the floors are creaking: what to do?
Why wooden floor squeaks
The main reason why the floor starts to creak is in the properties of the tree. With the deformation of the board or shrinkage lag, wooden structures begin to rub against each other, as a result of which we hear a characteristic creak. It is very difficult to figure out at which particular site friction occurs. The reason for the squeak can be one board or several parquet plates. And if the floor has a concrete base, then the reason may be very different.
- If the floor is mounted on the logs, then the creak is most likely due to the fact that the wood is rubbing against the nails. To eliminate it in a similar situation, it is enough to hammer in new nails or drive the old ones deeper.
- If the floor is laid on beams, the reason is most likely similar. Therefore, it should be removed in the manner described above, i.e. the nails should be driven deeper.
- If the floor squeaks and after you replace or drive the nails deeper, the reason is drying the wood. To eliminate the squeak in this case, more serious intervention will be required, including the removal of all wooden planks.
- If the carrier beam is deformed, then the floor can be leveled as follows. We fix it on both sides of the carrier beam on a thick board, thus giving it strength. The flooring will also be attached to the resulting construction.
Why bulk floor squeaks
Bulk floors practically do not creak. If you still hear the characteristic creaking, most likely this is caused by the sound of the tree on the base of the floor. The technology for the production of self-leveling floors is as follows: the parquet or board is laid on the pre-flooded floor surface. If the pouring process is not followed, then voids may form between the concrete base and the wooden surface. When the pressure on these voids increases, the board bends and hits the ground. As a result, we hear the so-called "creak".Another reason could be the deformation of the board.
This problem can be solved in various ways:
- If the cause of the knock is a deformed board, simply replace it, having previously adjusted to fit the other boards.
- The task is complicated if the reason lies in the irregularities of the self-leveling floor. You will have to dismantle the wooden structures, and then level the floor surface.
Creaking wood floor: what to do
To radically restore the wooden floor and get rid of squeaks, you can completely replace them. However, this procedure is quite expensive and will take a long period of time. Therefore, now we will look at how to eliminate the creak of floors in simpler ways. So, how to eliminate the creak of floors? This can be done in the following ways:
- Using foam. The height of the underfloor space usually reaches 70-90 mm. Therefore, you can try to eliminate the creaking of the boards with the help of mounting foam. When expanding, the foam should give relative hardness to the flooring. However, during operation, the foam loses its bonding properties and collapses, so this method is not very effective, and even moreover costly. Therefore, it can only be used as a temporary measure.
- With the help of constriction screws (without disassembling the main floor). The following method will be advisable to use only if the creak occurs directly at the intersection of the lag and floorboard. However, 90% of squeaks occur in the walk-through areas. When using this method, it will be most difficult to find lags. The task is complicated if the boards are covered with several layers of paint. If you still managed to find lags, then you need to screw in a board a few self-tapping screws (2-3), and thus eliminate the creaking. It is very important to screw the screws in the middle of the log. Drown them in the board, making maximum effort. It should be noted that this method is the most optimal in terms of price / quality ratio.
- With the help of a wooden floor (bulkhead), a wooden floor panel is a rather laborious way to eliminate squeaks, although, from a financial point of view, it is distinguished by its relative cheapness. Using this method, you will be able to conduct a full audit of the floorboards, check the state of the lag, if necessary, replace them or correct them. For greater efficiency, replace all old nails with screws. After all, the joints of wood and nail most often cause squeaks. At the same screws there is no shortage.
These are just some of the ways with which you can eliminate the creak of floors. However, it should be noted that sometimes this problem can be solved only by completely replacing the floor covering. The task is not easy, and if you are not confident in your abilities, better use the services of professionals.