Furniture edges: overview, types, features of pasting
Furniture edges are used during the manufacture of various items from chipboard, MDF, chipboard. They perform a decorative role, hiding the place of cut, which looks quite unpresentable. Also, the use of tape material protects against the evaporation of toxic substances. Although at the present time modern technologies used in production have significantly reduced the content of harmful substances, it is still better to err.
Now on sale there is a large variety of edges for furniture. They are sorted by cost, material and method of installation. Also worth noting is a wide range of colors that open up great opportunities for decorating surfaces. However, each type of furniture edge can have both advantages and disadvantages. Let's take a closer look at them.
Before you consider what types of furniture edges, it is necessary to find out what they are intended.As mentioned above, the tape material has a decorative function. Also, when using it, you can protect the fabric from chipboard, MDF, chipboard from deformation. As is known, such a material is compressed wood chips. With a strong mechanical action, the raw edges may begin to crumble, and the furniture edge acts as a protective sheath. Also, not least, panels made of artificial material quickly absorb moisture through the cuts. This can lead to severe swelling. The inner layers of wood chips - a favorable environment for the development of microorganisms, bacteria, fungi, insects. With the penetration they accelerate the process of decomposition of the material. It is surprising that, at first glance, a simple edge can prevent all the problems described above.
Scope of application
Where are the furniture edges used? All interior items made from materials such as chipboard, MDF, chipboard are edged with ribbons. Let's consider which ones.
- The ends of the shelves, wall shelves, drawers.
- Some details of the cabinets are the edges of the side walls and doors, the bottom.
- Kitchen countertops, covers of writing and coffee tables.
- Facial elements of mobile or side tables.
All furniture edges among themselves are divided into several types.
- Material type.On sale are plastic, paper and metal. The latter are made of aluminum and are used for furniture that is installed in the kitchen or in the bathroom.
- Dimensions.Depending on the thickness of the processed web, the corresponding edge is selected. The most popular is the tape with a width of 22 to 38 mm. The denser the finishing material, the better the protection will be. On sale there are options from 0.4 to 10 mm.
- Variety of coverage.The surface of the edge tape can be matte, glossy, embossed, structural, color.
- Mounting method.Currently, there are two options: self-adhesive furniture edge and one that uses glue for installation.
- Type of mount.There are three of them. The first and the simplest - the invoice, the second - mortise (used for T and U-shaped edges), the third - hard (metal profile).
The simplest and cheapest tape material is the melamine edge. It is sold by reels. The price for one running meter starts from 1 ruble.Mounted to the surface only with glue. It is sold separately. Edge is made on the basis of paper. In order to give it protective properties, manufacturers impregnate with melamine resin. On sale there are two types: single-layer and double-layer.
- A wide range of colors.
- When pasting does not require special expensive equipment.
- Installation is carried out using a conventional iron.
- The material is not very hard, so it is easy to repeat the desired shape.
- Maximum thickness - 6 mm.
- Low level of resistance from mechanical damage.
- Paper base practically does not protect against moisture penetration.
PVC furniture edge
This type of edge is made of polyvinyl chloride. There are only two types - 2 and 4 mm thick. More dense tapes are used in places that are subject to increased loads. Thin versions veneer the front surfaces of the furniture. The cost of PVC edge varies from 10 to 20 rubles per meter.
- Large selection of colors.
- Polyvinyl chloride is not flammable.
- High level of wear resistance.
- Maximum protection of ends against mechanical damage and moisture penetration.
- Resistance to the effects of various kinds of substances (acids, alkalis).
- The complexity of installation. The only way to mount - specialized machines. For this reason, it is impossible to fix the PVC edge by yourself.
- Rigidity. This criterion can be attributed to both advantages and disadvantages. Due to the stiffness, it is difficult to smooth the surface to be machined. However, it is she who significantly improves the protective properties of the edge.
The most dense and reliable is ABS (furniture edge). The price for this type starts with a mark of 30 rubles. "ABS" is deciphered as acrylonitrile-butadiene-styrene. It is absolutely not dangerous to humans, because it does not contain chlorine. It is used for processing the ends of various pieces of furniture, but their cost will be somewhat higher. This difference quickly pays for itself, since in terms of durability, the ABS edge cannot be compared with the above options.
- Good color fastness. For a long time the surface does not fade and does not lose its original appearance.
- It has a soft structure.
- Easy to cut.
- Does not accumulate electric charge.
- During heat treatment does not emit toxic substances.
- When cutting is not formed fine chips.
But this type of edge has no disadvantages. The only thing that can be considered a minus is the high cost in comparison with the previous versions. But the negative impression of such a price quickly passes, as the quality, reliability and durability of the furniture tape can be compared only with metal types.
Features of the U-shaped edge
U-shaped furniture edge is used mainly for objects that will be constantly under the influence of moisture. Also, thanks to a special form, it perfectly protects against mechanical damage. U-shaped edge on both sides tightly wraps the surface. With it, you can cover up small chips, since the side faces have a gap of a few millimeters. Fastening is done with glue. It is recommended to purchase an edge that has a matte surface inside. It is easier to stick, and most importantly, lasts longer.
The process of pasting
Now let's look at how to glue the furniture edge yourself. To do this, you can use only one type - melamine. The most relevant is such a solution for upgrading old furniture. It is important to understand that the ribbon on paper basis will perform only decorating functions.
- Sharp knife. It is important that the edges are as smooth as possible.
- Sandpaper for grouting irregularities with fine coating.
- Iron (it is better to use the Soviet models, as they, unlike modern ones, are rather heavy).
Step-by-step description of butt lining:
- Measure the length of the processed face.
- Cut the edge a few centimeters longer.
- Treat the surface with glue.
- Smoothly attach the edge.
- Go through the hot iron.
- Using a rag, pin the edge tightly to the end.
- Edges are trimmed only after the glue has completely set.
- Sand the surface to remove small inaccuracies.