How to connect the engine?
Watch the video
An asynchronous motor is an alternating current machine with a lower rotor speed compared to the speed of rotation of the magnetic field on the stator winding. It can operate from both 220V and 380V mains. In addition, there are various variations that are powered from one, two, three or more phases, which provides higher efficiency and accuracy of speed control. In addition, any two-or three-phase asynchronous motor can operate on a single phase, making them used in many household devices, such as washing machines, fans, pumps, etc.
How to connect an asynchronous type motor to AC power?
Due to the fact that the induction motor is designed to work in AC networks, its connection will be quite simple. Depending on the voltage in the network, the phase windings of the stator of a three-phase motor can be connected according to unfolded circuits in the shape of a star or a triangle.It should be noted that this method of connection is suitable only if there is a three-phase input in your home or enterprise.
Connecting the motor to a three-phase network of 380V:
- In this case, it is necessary to connect the stator windings into a “star”;
- If the engine is equipped with a terminal block with 6 terminals, the three of them must be connected to each other, and the remaining 3 should be used to supply the phases;
- When connected to the 380V network, jumpers connect three ends or three windings, the direction of motor rotation depends on this (the beginning of each winding is usually indicated as C1, C2, C3, and the ends of the windings are C4, C5, C6).
- This type of connection does not require a neutral wire, it is not necessary to connect it (can only be used as a ground for the case).
Connecting the motor to a three-phase network at 220V:
- The stator windings are connected according to the “star” scheme;
- With the installed block with 6 contacts, it is necessary to connect three of them in a certain sequence;
- For operation in a 220V network, the jumpers are connected: the start of the first winding terminal of the third winding, the start of the second winding terminal of the first winding, the start of the third winding terminal of the second winding.
- Phases are fed to the end terminals of the three windings, and the neutral wire is fed to the housing (as grounding).
In the event that the engine is not equipped with a connecting block, and only three bundles of wires come out of it, it is worth resorting to disassembling it to determine the beginning and end of the windings. To do this, you need to carefully open the part of the body on which the outlets are located.
Determination of the beginning and end of the winding in the engine without connecting pads
- After opening the cover, unplug all wires soldered to each other so that you can ring them;
- Take an ohmmeter and ring all the wires with each other to determine the individual windings;
- After continuity, divide the wires into 2 beams, each of them should have one wire from each winding;
- Take a regular battery and connect it to one of the windings (both wires must belong to the same winding);
- Connect a conventional arrow (not digital) voltmeter to either of the two remaining windings;
- Now disconnect one of the battery contacts and remember which way the voltmeter needle will swing;
- Reconnect the battery (with the same polarity as before);
- Repeat with the last winding points 5, 6,7;
- If the arrow shakes the other time the other time, then swap the wires of this winding in bundles.
- Do this test by connecting the battery to each of the windings.
After the arrow of the voltmeter will deviate in the same direction on all windings, it is possible to make the connection of wires according to the "triangle" or "star". In this case, in one of the bundles of wires will be the beginning, and in the other - the ends of the windings.
It is worth noting that the motor windings, which have only three contacts at the output, are already connected inside according to the “star” or “triangle” scheme. The exact type of connection used should be indicated on the type plate (a small plate describing the device located on its body).