How to make a milling and lathe on wood with their own hands
To date, manufacturers offer a variety of industrial models of turning and milling machines for wood. True, they are bulky and expensive, and in the home workshop they are unlikely to look. If desired, you can assemble a milling or lathe on the tree with your own hands. This is not such a complicated process.
Making lathe. Method Description
A simple lathe for wood can be made independently, if there is a small electric motor (up to 500 W) and available materials. It is desirable that the person who designs this equipment has some skills in this area.
To build a lathe on a tree with your own hands, you need a frame, an electric motor that replaces the front node with a spindle, a tailstock and a handhold. Consider the manufacturing process in more detail.
- Initially, an electric motor shaft is prepared, that is, a faceplate or a threaded steel center is installed on it. It is easy to do. The second center is installed in the tube of the tailstock.
- The frame is made of two parts of 50 x 30 mm, whose length is 150 mm. The engine is bolted to it. The center of the tailstock must coincide with the middle of the motor shaft. This condition is important when making a lathe on the tree with your own hands.
- The tailstock is assembled using two vertical and two horizontal angles. Also attach the pipe to the spindle. It is inserted into the bolt with a diameter of 12 mm, the head of which you want to sharpen at an angle of 90 ° - it will play the role of the center of the spindle.
- Next, you need to attach the grandmother to the bed. The tube must be welded to the shelves of the upper rack, which is attached to the horizontal corners.
- The handrail is made of a steel rod with a chamfer and a hole, which is intended for attaching the ruler support. To make it, you need to vertically weld a tube with a locking screw to a long corner. Then it is necessary to insert the pivot stick.
- The spindle of the headstock is the rotor of the engine with a faceplate fixed on it, in which you need to drill several holes: at the center - for the plug, and from the edge - to strengthen the part with screws.
Wood milling machine: design method
You can also make a milling machine for wood with your own hands. Its main principle of operation and technical elements will be the same as those of the industrial counterpart. It also has a similar cartridge and presser mechanism.
The leading center of this design can be built in different ways:
- In the first method, a thin-walled steel tube should be mounted on the shaft. Although this method is very simple, it has its drawbacks: firstly, there is no possibility of processing the workpiece of a diameter smaller than the diameter of the tube from the inside. Secondly, there are difficulties with the need for quick dismantling.
In another method, the workpiece must be attached to the faceplate using screws that are passed through the holes made in it. In this method, the disadvantage is that difficulties arise when milling parts of a smaller diameter than the diameter of the faceplate. You can make a special cartridge.In this case, firstly, there are problems with its manufacture, as it is rather difficult, and secondly, there is a need to process the blanks for this cartridge.Driven (rear) center, designed for fastening long blanks, located on the tailstock. The electric motor is mounted on the frame.
From the above, it can be concluded that making a milling and turning machine for wood with your own hands is not so difficult, and desire and some technical knowledge are necessary.