How to make colored paper?
In each store selling stationery, if you wish, you can buy several types of colored paper sets. But most often the paper in them is of low quality, and the colors leave it to be desired. The composition of these sets usually includes sheets of six or ten colors, sometimes faded and inexpressive, and sometimes, on the contrary, too bright, such which are commonly called “pluck the eyes” among the people. Therefore, such sets are suitable only for simple children's fakes. If you make designer greeting cards, wedding invitations or business cards using the scrapbooking technique, you should paint the paper for your creative work yourself.
How to make colored paper
For coloring, take a sheet of paper intended for drawing with watercolor, or drawing drawing paper. To paint coated paper or glossy paper is not worth it, since the special impregnation of such varieties will not allow the paint to absorb well and evenly paint the sheet. Paper can be dyed in a variety of ways, allowing for interesting color effects.The easiest way is to use colored pencils.
Paint the paper with colored pencils
- Take a good color pencil of the color you want, sharpen it, and scrape the fine particles of slate on a piece of clean paper with a blade.
- Rub the obtained dye powder with a cotton ball into the surface of the sheet with careful circular motions.
- This method makes it possible to get paper of delicate pastel shades. Using several pencils, you can achieve beautiful smooth color transitions on a single sheet of paper.
For works in the styles of “Ethno” and “Boho” it is often necessary to use paper of natural colors that you cannot buy in the store. Such colored paper can be made by yourself, using vegetable raw materials for coloring.
We paint paper with natural dyes
These dyes in the first place should include all sorts of decoctions of leaves and herbs. In addition, the paper can be colored with ordinary tea brewing or strong natural coffee.
- Beige paper can be made with a decoction of dry birch leaves. Two hundred grams of leaves should be soaked for a day in five liters of water, then boil them in it for a quarter of an hour.In the filtered cooled solution, lower a sheet of paper and hold it in it until the desired shade is obtained, after which the sheet is pulled out, dried and ironed with a warm iron.
- A beautiful color of ocher paper can be given a decoction of onion peel, which must also be soaked and boiled.
- Strong tea leaves made of Karkade tea will give the paper a noble pink shade. By adjusting the concentration of tea leaves, you can get paper from soft pink to almost burgundy.
- Natural coffee colors the paper beige, and long black tea tea leaves are made in light shades of golden brown.
The most diverse and rich shades of paper can be obtained using aniline dyes, which are intended for dyeing fabrics. This method is also good in that it allows you to get any shade you need at any degree of saturation, having only three cans of blue, yellow and red colors at your disposal. To obtain the desired color, it is only necessary to combine the colors with each other and dilute them with water to the desired concentration.
Paint the paper with aniline dyes
- You have to choose the desired color empirically.To do this, take a glass jar, pour hot water into it and dissolve some aniline dye you need in it. Remember that these paints are very concentrated, so it is better to gradually add them to hot water until the required saturation. Dip a small piece of paper into the solution with tweezers and look at the result. If it does not suit you, add a little paint of a different color to the jar, or dilute the solution. By controlling the staining solution with test samples, achieve the desired shade.
- Pour the prepared coloring solution into a photographic cuvette, dip a sheet of paper into it, hold it there for a while.
- When the paper is painted evenly, use a pair of tweezers to remove the sheet from the dye solution and place it on a clean glass.
- After all the liquid has drained from the paper, the sheet can be hung on a rope to speed up the drying.
- Carefully iron the dried colored paper on both sides with a hot iron.