Insulin Analysis: What Decoding Shows
What does insulin analysis show? We will understand. Why should a person who is not sick with anything control the blood content of a component like insulin? The fact is that it makes it possible in time to detect the first signs of serious pathologies that can significantly impair the quality of life of a person. Periodically performed analysis of insulin allows timely detection of failures in order to prescribe the necessary treatment.
Insulin is a protein hormone and is extremely important. This hormone provides the process of transporting nutrients to the cells of the body. It is thanks to insulin in the human body that it is possible to maintain an optimal balance of carbohydrates. This hormone is produced by cyclical method, its level in the blood always rises after eating food. More information about the analysis of insulin, as well as the interpretation of the results will be discussed below.
What is it needed for?
Insulin is a substance that has a protein nature and is produced by special enzymes of the pancreas. The production of this component is directly dependent on the amount of glucose in the blood. The main clinical application of the analysis for insulin is the identification and control of the effectiveness of diabetes treatment.
It is well known that diabetes is a serious disease in which the normal ingress of glucose into the tissues of the body stops. In patients with diabetes, the body cannot use glucose as an energy source, which causes a number of serious disruptions in the operation of different systems.
In addition, the blood test for insulin makes it possible to establish not only the development of diabetes, but also its appearance. So, in the event that the gland cells do not produce a hormone in the quantity necessary for a person, a disease of the first type is formed. An insulin-dependent type of diabetes develops when the body produces less than twenty percent of the required amount of this hormone. In some patients, the insulin content does not change, and its level may be slightly increased,but at the same time, the cells of the tissues are immune to this element. As a result, the development of the disease of type 2 diabetes occurs.
Insulin testing will help identify the disease in a timely manner.
Thus, diabetes is an extremely serious disease and against its background the following complications can develop:
- Ischemic heart disease.
- The occurrence of retinopathy is sometimes completely blind.
- Lack of kidney function.
- Trophic pathologies up to the development of gangrene and so on.
Given that the effects of diabetes are extremely serious, special attention is paid to the early detection of this disease. Therefore, if it is timely to establish that the insulin level is increased precisely because of diabetes, then the basic measures in the form of a special diet and physical education will help to cope with the disease. As a result of the application of these methods, you can achieve normalization of body weight, as well as restore carbohydrate metabolism without the use of drugs.
Indications for testing for insulin
As a rule, it is prescribed to conduct an analysis of the content of insulin in the blood as part of a diagnostic examination.in order to detect diabetes, and, moreover, if there are suspicions of a number of other endocrine diseases.
People who are closely monitoring their health may themselves notice obvious symptoms. In this case, you need to independently consult a doctor so that he appointed an examination for the content of insulin. The following symptoms should alert the person in this case:
- Sharp changes in body weight in any direction while maintaining the usual diet along with the level of physical exertion.
- The appearance of feelings of weakness and quick fatigue.
- During damage to the skin, the wounds heal too slowly.
How do you test for insulin?
There are two ways to do this analysis:
- The first technique is called the “fasting test,” in which the patient takes blood to an empty stomach. At the same time since the last meal before the analysis should take at least eight hours. For this reason, this technique is assigned to the morning time.
- Glucose tolerance test. During this test, the patient to be examined is first given 75 milliliters of glucose to drink, after which he should donate blood after two hours.
In order to obtain the most accurate research results in some situations, it is considered appropriate to combine both tests. To do this, the patient takes biological material for analysis twice: on an empty stomach in the morning, and then after the first test, the person drinks a solution of glucose, then produce another blood sample after the required time.
Performing a combined test makes it possible to get a detailed picture to make the diagnosis as accurately as possible. True, for preventive studies, it is usually enough to make only a “hunger test”.
How to test for insulin?
In order for the test result to be correct, it is necessary to properly prepare for the blood sample. So, competent preparation involves a number of the following actions:
- Biological material should be taken strictly on an empty stomach. That is, it is forbidden to eat or drink eight hours before blood donation.
- To take an analysis is required before the start of a course of any therapy or at least one week after its completion. In the event that the course of treatment cannot be interrupted, it is advisable to discuss this issue with the doctor, since most drugs can affect the result.
- One day prior to the prescribed analysis, you should completely limit yourself in the use of fatty foods, and also eliminate alcohol along with serious physical exertion.
- In the event that a comprehensive examination has been scheduled, it is recommended that blood donation be done before going on an ultrasound examination or radiography.
The rate of analysis for insulin is presented below.
In that case, if the blood is taken on an empty stomach, then the rate of insulin should be from 1.9 to 23 micrometers per milliliter of blood. These figures are fair for adults. For children, the rate will be somewhat lower and, as a rule, it may be from 2 to 20 micrometers per milliliter of blood. In women during pregnancy, the value of insulin is the norm from 6 to 27.
What do low rates mean?
The decoding of the insulin analysis should be carried out by a qualified technician.
In situations where the rate of maintenance of this hormone is reduced, talk about the development of type 1 diabetes. The first clinical signs of a hormone deficiency are the following symptoms:
- Development of palpitations.
- Not disappearing feeling of hunger.
- Sensation of drying in the mouth, along with a constant feeling of thirst.
- Increased sweating.
- Frequent irritability.
A decrease in the level of the hormone in a number of situations reports hypopituitarism, a condition in which disruption of the activity of the endocrine glands occurs.
In the event that insulin levels are elevated, this does not always indicate a disease. For example, as mentioned above, a slightly elevated level of this hormone is the norm during pregnancy.
But also the content of insulin rises at an early stage of development of insulin-independent diabetes, which is one of the main diagnostic signs. In addition, this hormone rises in insulin, that is, in the presence of a pancreatic tumor and Itsenko-Cushing syndrome, as well as in acromegaly. It often happens that an increase in its value is observed against the background of obesity and liver disease.
Thus, conducting a blood test to determine the amount of insulin is an extremely important diagnostic test. In the event that its rate is too low, it may indicate the formation of insulin-dependent diabetes.With the emergence of diabetes of the second type, as well as a number of some other pathological conditions, the level of insulin, on the contrary, increases. It must be borne in mind that a competent interpretation of the results of the survey can be made only by a specialist. And if a person has any suspicion of having diabetes, you should immediately go for a medical examination. People often ask what insulin test to take? We answered this question.