What is a terminal?
The word "terminal" came to us from the English language and its literal meaning is "final, last, final." In general, the word "terminal" means the final part of any system. The function of this part is to maintain the communication system with the external environment. About what are the terminals and what is a terminal for receiving payments, will be discussed further.
What are terminals for?
The word "terminal" in modern Russian is most often called:
- Points of embarkation and disembarkation of passengers in transport networks. For example, there are usually several terminals in large airports.
- Points of loading and unloading of various goods and their buffer accumulation. For example, in order to store petroleum products use the oil terminal.
- The device workstation on multi-user computers (console, monitor with keyboard, etc.). These devices are commonly referred to as computer terminals.
- A device for transmitting and receiving data in communication systems.
- Telephone subscribers in mobile networks.
- Self-service devices for receiving various payments.
Currently, the number of payment terminals has increased, so we’ll dwell on the last point.
What is a terminal for receiving payments
There are so many types of payment terminals now that people often confuse them with ATMs. However, the functions of these devices are different: ATMs are needed to issue cash and carry out certain banking operations, and payment terminals are designed exclusively to receive money for making various payments and transfers. However, now there are devices successfully combining these two functions. For the most part, self-service payment terminals are of four types:
- outdoor (they are most often placed in large stores, underground passages and cafes);
- built-in (usually located in the buildings of banks and large offices);
- mounted (found in small office buildings and small shops);
- the street.
Payment terminals can be installed by any entrepreneur or organization. To do this, installers must obtain a license. The terminals are installed by agreement with the company whose payments will be received by the device.Currently, almost any payment can be made through the terminal: from replenishing a phone account to paying tickets for transport, utilities, etc. In addition, you can replenish e-wallets with the payment terminal, transfer money to various types of plastic cards, pay for purchases in online stores.
The percentage charged for using the terminal varies from 0 to 9%. The main advantage of using such terminals is that, thanks to GPRS, payments are made almost instantly, moreover, when using the terminals, no special authorization is required - it is enough just to carefully pay the payment details.