Poetry occupies an important place in the identity of any ethnic group or cultural group. A lot of famous poems from generation to generation are studied in school, written in love letters and just read for the soul. In this article we will talk about an important component of almost any poem - rhyme.
What is rhyme?
The first poems appeared a long time ago. The history of rhyme goes far back in time, but its essence remains unchanged to this day - it is a link in the poem. The value of rhyme can not be underestimated: it represents the consonance of the lines in the poem, which is important for the observance of the norms of phonetic sound, metrics and the construction of the composition of the work.
Why is it important to know about rhyme?
Many who have tried to write a verse for themselves at least once know firsthand how much time to search for suitable words and the composition of a work. Of course, in order to create a poem, it is not necessary to understand all the subtleties of versification. But knowledge of what rhymes are will help a novice poet understand the logic of creating a poem and its patterns.The typology of rhyme is wide enough, but the main division is based on the position of stress in words.
Types of rhyme
The main difference in rhyme is that the stress in words can fall on the last syllable, on the first syllable, or in the middle of a word. From this point of view, there are:
- Male rhyme - stress falls on the last syllable: "wave - it";
- Female - the accent falls on the penultimate syllable: "in the summer - with the light";
- Dactylic - the stress falls on the third syllable from the end: “bumps - hollows”;
- Hyperdactylic - the stress falls on the fourth syllable from the end and beyond: "scratches - hews".
Also, apart from the above classification, rhyme may be accurate and inaccurate. Accurate rhyme can be rich when the reference consonant sounds coincide (those sounds that stand before the percussion), for example: “deception is fog”, and poor when the shock vowels partially coincide, for example “I am me”, “mine are love” .
Inaccurate rhymes also have their own classification. They are divided into assonance and dissonance. Assonance rhyme is one in which the percussive vowel sounds are the same, and the consonant sounds are not, for example: “the sea is a lot”.A discordant rhyme is considered to be a rhyme in which all consonants in a word coincide, but the rhyming words have different stresses and a set of vowels, for example: "cherries are superfluous".
Many authors deviate from the generally accepted laws of versification and prefer to search or create new unusual rhymes. Thus, a special section was identified in the rhyme typology, which was called “rare rhymes”. This type includes:
- Compound rhyme - when the rhyme in one line consists of one word, and in the other line - of two or more words, for example: “mayor, do not buy something”;
- Tautological rhyme - the repetition of the same word, for example:
- All mine, said gold;
- All mine, said damask.
- I will buy everything, said gold;
- I'll take everything, said damask.
- (A. Pushkin)
- Homonymic rhyme - the repetition of words that sound the same, but have different meanings, for example:
- You fed white swans,
- Throwing back the weight of the black braid,
- I swam alongside, came together to feed,
- The sunset beam was a strange braid.
- (V. Bryusov)
- Prayer rhyme - rhyme, the basis of which is a pun.
- “You, puppies! Follow me!
- You will be kalachu,
- Yes, look well, do not chat,
- But not something I will beat. ”
- (A. Pushkin)
- Pantorithma is a rhyme in which the whole poem rhymes:
- Lask al-frankincenseum Lily puty
- Ate roses wreaths of the best Traviath.
- Caressing palm Lel to her, and Liliputians
- Sang: a rosy ray of grass neck poison.
- (G. Zolotukhin)
On the impact of rhyme on the listener
Rhyme plays an important role in influencing the listener. Her role in the piece is similar to that of rhythm. Periodic repetition of sounds, pauses and stresses in the piece is called rhythm.
It is the rhythmic pattern of the poem that creates the basis of the artistic impact: broken rhythm and inaccurate rhyme create a feeling of anxiety and anxiety - poems on social themes, about war. Conversely, precise rhyme with a smooth melodic rhythm creates a feeling of peace, tenderness - poems about love, about nature.