Why is muscle contraction?
Have you ever wondered why muscle cramps? It would seem that the problem is not so great - it will get a little bit more and stop. However, if you, for example, will contract a leg muscle while swimming in an open pond, this can be a serious problem. Many, even professional athletes drowned as a result of the appearance of such a spasm. In this article we will try to figure out why muscle contraction and how to avoid it.
In medicine, this condition is called muscle spasm. This is a phenomenon in which acute sharp short-term pain occurs in the muscles (usually in the muscles of the extremities). Many people consider this to be the norm and are in no hurry to seek help from a doctor. However, if such a phenomenon occurs with you often, it is worth checking whether it is a signal of the development of a disease. The most common reasons why the calf muscle or arm muscles:
- Wrong body position maintained for a long time. This is the main reason why muscle cramps occur in the morning.
- Hypothermia is one of the frequent reasons why it reduces muscles in water. The fact is that when it enters the cold water, the muscles contract sharply, from which a spasm appears. Therefore, it is not recommended to dive sharply into the water immediately to a great depth. It is better to enter into the water gradually or with preheated muscles. It should also be noted that the temperature of the water itself is not so important as the difference between the temperatures of the water and your body, i.e. on a hot day, muscles can be reduced even in warm water, if you overheat.
- In athletes very often reduces muscles. The main reason is excessive loads. If you have muscle contraction a couple of times a month - this is not scary. But if the pain occurs during each workout, it can be a clear sign that the load on the body must be reduced. Otherwise, you risk sooner or later get a serious injury.
- Lack of vitamins in the body can also trigger the appearance of muscle spasm. The fact is that the work and the process of muscle contraction is controlled by our nervous system. If she does not receive enough of useful organic substances, her work will fail.Therefore, if you have a vitamin deficiency as a result of a disease or if an incorrect diet is chosen, you should take care to restore the balance of vitamins in the body as soon as possible.
- Pregnancy. The muscles of the legs are always subjected to a greater load compared to other muscles of our body. During pregnancy, due to weight gain, this load increases even more. Therefore, in pregnant women, muscle cramps occur more often than others. To prevent seizures, doctors recommend pregnant women to do regular foot and foot massage to relieve muscle tension.
- Another common cause of seizures is muscle atrophy. It can be caused by a particular disease or develop in the process of natural aging of the body.
These are the most common causes of muscle spasm. In some cases, the regular appearance of spasms may indicate the presence of diseases such as diabetes, varicose veins, with various neurological diseases, etc. To diagnose these diseases, it is imperative to consult a doctor.